Tapada das Necessidades
The Tapada das Necessidades evolved from a private hunting ground for the kings of Portugal, to a prime location for holding picnics...The former convent of the Congregation of the Oratory - now the Palácio das Necessidades - is located at the Rua Largo do Rilvas, in Lisbon.The Palace was built in the eighteenth century, by D. João V, following a vow that the monarch made to Our Lady of Necessities (whose chapel stood on the site).It became the residence of the kings of the House of Bragança, since D. Maria II. Ferdinand of Saxe Coburg, husband of D. Maria II, resided in the palace until his death... He brought to the palace a large collection of art.The Tapada das Necessidades has been the stage for some important events in Portuguese history, as exemplified in the famous case of the box that D. Pedro V installed at the door, in wich everyone could leave their messages and complaints to the sovereign.After the proclamation of the Republic, on the 5th of October 1910, the site became the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.The park is also a public space of rare beauty, as it is an area of National Forest Reserve.The main entrance is through the Largo das Necessidades. It is open to the public every day of the week - including Saturdays and Sundays - and the entry is free.